I have now made five characters from The Lion King, and I am at the stage of just about knowing what I am doing! I feel like writing about my process now, to enhance my learning. Of course, the more you do something, the more you automatically know what to do! Sometimes if that is not captured, it can be forgotten, so I am writing.I actually started with the mask for this one, as I was curious to see how I would do it and what it would look like! I was always planning ahead, and thinking about the next bit. I knew the body would not be difficult, as I had the pattern modified sufficiently by then, so I didn;t think too much about that, except that I would do the feet differently!I left the head till last - not because I thought it would be hard, but because I had to source all the elements I needed to make the costume! Eventually, after much searching and not finding the colours/patterns I wanted, a South African friend gave me some of her fabrics to try, and I found one that woudl work for the loin cloth. Then I searched my own stash - and found enough of a scrap of lycra, from someone's dress that had just the right pattern on it - and it was black and white! Yay! It worked - and I painted it yellow so the black pattern showed through!
When I looked at the original Mufusa face I wanted to copy, I chose one with strong features. I designed the head accordingly, sewed it up , stuffed it and drew on the features I wanted. I decided on simple needlesculpting techniques, as this face was mostly painted. I was not worried about the black stitiching line down the centre, as I knew it would be covered. I needlesculpted the face and was quite happy with the result!
To finish the head, I thread some seed beads in red, to compliment the other colours on the face. In this case, I had to use a spot of glue to keep the hair down and cover the beads, for the look I was after. I could have made the hair longer, but not enough embroidery thread!