SFM Cloth Dolls with Attitude! NZ

Friday, August 29, 2014

Inspiration and follow through!

 Inspiration comes from all sorts of funny places.  A friend of mine is collevting these wacky ashtrays and showed me his latest acquisition.   Whe I saw the feet, I just wondered how hard that would be to needlesculpt and if it was possible, so I quickly drew a foot to try it out and made the female one.  Should have done two at once, to work out the left and right feet!  I eventually got it sorted.
As you can see, needlesculpting makes the foot smaller.

 It's interesting making manly features.  What to put in - what to leave out.  He doesn;t have a sculpted top lip for example.  
 And as for baby!  How to make it small enough, but attached to such big feet, and how to make it stable?
 Well, I found a way!
And it worked! 
 What do you think?

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Nic-Nacs for distraction!

Just some little Nic Nacs today.  I needed distraction from writing, so a challenge by a friend to make a Pin doll! In case you can't guess, this is Ursla, the Octopus!  Of course it is!  I could tell you knew that!  LOL!  Well, it's a version anyway! Definitely OOAK!  It will be off to America shortly, but first I want to show it off at a talk I am giving next week!
 I thought, as it was meant to be a pin doll, it would be best to do the pancake face and just draw the features on.  To do a 3D face would have made it so much bigger and impossible to wear or hang on the wall.  Then I thought I'd try and see if it would needle-sculpt and if so, would it be effective?  Well, you never know before, till after, and I was surprised how well it came out!
 Really odd colouring a body in shades of purple, but it worked surprisingly well! Prismacolour pencils are great!  I rubbed the colour on and then wet a paintbrush to smooth the colour around.  Worked well! I just used quilters muslin for this, as it had a tiny stretch.  I used a slightly stretchy velour for the dress, so was able to stuff extra into the boobs for better effect. I stitched two different fur fabrics together to add the stripes to her hair.  She looks Glam!
This other thing I spent most of the day making is called an assemblage!  Not my original idea, because I am not wired like this.  I saw it elsewhere and thought it would be something I could have a go at and that it would come together quite quickly.  Wrong! I really don't like cutting out. It is so messy!  But I am grateful, because it made me clean up my studio!  Hunting for the bits to go on it, made me think I really could get organised better, so I did!  I did like the theme though and the person who did the original is to be commended!  I am glad I had a go and \i am sure I will find a home for it!