I needle sculpted and coloured it, but I still didn't like it, so I recovered the face and tried again - Nooo! The eyes are different sizes, too big and I can't change them! By now I was in danger of ditching it, so I thought I would just plow on and finish it off and see how it looked.
I made the wig by unstitching a dress-up wig and stitching it on the head. I used stuffing to keep it raised up and stitched the style in place. (Have to do it again - not right!) By now I had the general idea of what it could look like, so carried on!
I decided to dress it in Victorian style because I had this lovely taffeta and someone gave me an old brooch and old pearls, and I have heaps of lace I want to get rid of! Funnily enough, I don't use lace much in dollmaking. Well, I liked the dress, so that helped.
I'll post a pic of the controls later. That was a mission too! OK for a first attempt I think.
I made the control from this diagram I found in an old marionette book I have that cost 10/3 (10 shillings and threepence!)
Not that easy to make if you don't know what you're doing. (I didn't) I can make it work, but it seems cumbersome to me. For someone more familiar with marionettes it's probably fine.
Anyway, feel free to have a go at making one!